“Every time I get the chance to express myself on my instrument, I count it a blessing. Music is supposed to inspire and I strive to create an environment where people can be touched and blessed by my artistry…”
Jemar Poteat began his muscial journey early on, playing drums in church from the age of 8. Jemar began playing professionally at the age 12, traveling every weekend with gospel quartet groups. Jemar began recording by the age of 12 for a few gospel artist in his hometown of Ardmore, OK. He attended East Central University from 2001-2002, went on to pursue his studies in percussion at the University of Oklahoma from 2002-2006. While at OU, Jemar worked as an adjunct percussion instructor at a few of surrounding high schools and taught private lessons.
Jemar has worked as a full-time musician in the state of Oklahoma as well as the region. Jemar works as a contractor for many different artist and bands in the region...whether it’s bass or the drum set, his versatility has allowed him to work with artists across many genres.
Jemar has played and recorded with artist such as;
(Drums)Voices of Faith, Malcom WIlliams, Brian Belanus, (Drums &Bass) Chris Wray, (Drums &Bass) Cooki Turner, (Drums) Adam&Kizzie, Raul Reyes, Xiaojun Chen, Vince Norman, Jay Wilkinson, New Growth Quartet, (Bass) Sophia Wells, Marcellus Coleman, (Drums & Bass) Bryce Merritt...and many more
- Currently Jemar is serving as the Music Director for multiple campuses of People’s Church, located in Oklahoma City, and coordinates roughly 60 instrumentalists and vocalists weekly.
- Jemar is also teaching at Oklahoma State University this spring as the Jazz Drumset Instructor. Jemar teaches private lessons at Oklahoma Baptist University and Norman Music Institute.
- Jemar is currently preparing his drum-set residency at the Lyric Theatre, for the gopsel musical Crowns! The musical will run Wednesday - Sunday Feb 2018
- Jemar is now working on his debut record, soon to be released Fall of 2018!
- Jemar is is now a resident of California where he is doing session work in the pop scene as well as working as a freelance musician in the LA music scene